Join us for our September meeting!
Saturday, September 25 at 10 am – noon, via Zoom
It’s been a challenging 18 months since COVID, and as things began to loosen up, we had hoped for an in-person meeting for our kick-off event. However, with COVID numbers increasing, we want exercise an abundance of caution and have decided that we will be meeting virtually on Saturday, September 25 from 10 am – noon.
Last year’s virtual environment still allowed our branch to enthusiastically support the education and leadership training of girls and women. Our September meeting will highlight our Tech Trekkers who attended virtual camps this summer. The National Convention for College Women Student Leaders (NCCWSL) also happened virtually, and so, for the first time ever, we sent three Cal Poly students to attend. We’ll also hear about some of their experiences, too, and their plans for this upcoming year. We know you’ll enjoy meeting both groups of students!!
At the September meeting you will also get a preview of some of the exciting programs and activities that are planned for the year, as well as updates from our interest groups. We are still planning on a hybrid year, with some meetings in person and some on-line via Zoom. There will be something for everyone, and we hope to see you on the 25th and at many (all!) branch meetings and events over the course of the year!!
So, please join us on September 25 at 10 am to kick off the new AAUW SLO Branch Year! Feel free to invite friends and other guests! We look forward to being together, learning about our Tech Trekkers and NCCWSL attendees, and more! Watch for your Evite and Zoom information as the date draws closer!
The San Luis Obispo branch was organized in 1943 and has been a vital part of the community for over 75 years.
The branch was instrumental in the creation of Mission Plaza and the Art Center of San Luis Obispo. We also initiated Art Park, a summer arts program for children, and were founding members of the SLO County Women’s Legacy Fund. We continue to sponsor candidates’ and issue forums.
Today the branch consists of more than 60 women from varied backgrounds who promote the Association’s goals.
Our current community actions include:
- Tech Trek: is a math and science camp for middle school girls
- Adopt-a-Poll: staffing a voting site during elections
- San Luis Obispo High School Scholarships: our branch raises money to provide scholarships for college-bound high school girls.
- Scholarship & Loan Committee: was created to assist re-entry students at Cuesta College. The Committee is a 501(c)3 charitable organization.
- Support for the Educational Foundation: Provides fellowships and grants to women for graduate study and community action
- Support for Legal Advocacy Fund: Provides support for women seeking judicial redress for sex discrimination in academia and the workplace
- Friends of the Library/AAUW In-School Reading Program: Volunteers read with children in a classroom setting to provide literacy experiences that encourage, support, and celebrate children’s efforts to learn to read.
Branch meetings are generally held once a month on either Monday evening or Saturday during the day at various locations around town. These monthly programs provide opportunities for members to discuss and learn about critical issues affecting women and the community. For more details on upcoming programs please see the programs page. All meetings are open to the public. If you would like to talk to a branch representative before attending a meeting, please feel free to contact us.
We also have a variety of special interest groups you may enjoy. These include two bridge groups, two book clubs, craft group, hiking, and dining out. Please join us!
Follow us on Twitter @AAUWSLO