Monday, March 10th, 7:00pm
First Presbyterian Church, San Luis Obispo
“Nellie Jack”, aka Toni Kincaid, talks about life in the Jack family
Saturday, March 15th, 10:00am
Private tour of the Jack House
The San Luis Obispo branch was organized in 1943 and has been a vital part of the community for over 65 years.
The branch was instrumental in the creation of Mission Plaza and the Art Center of San Luis Obispo. We also initiated Art Park, a summer arts program for children, and were founding members of the SLO County Women’s Legacy Fund. We continue to sponsor candidates’ and issue forums. We also recently collected school supplies for children in Afghanistan.
Today the branch consists of more than 60 women from varied backgrounds who promote the Association’s goals.
Our current community actions include:
- Tech Trek: math and science camp for middle school girls-
- Adopt-a-Poll (staffing a voting site during elections)
- Mother-Daughter Choices program for young girls
- A Cuesta College scholarship for a re-entry woman student. While our funds for this scholarship are currently committed for next year, we expect to take new applications beginning in February 2013.
- College scholarships for San Luis Obispo High School girls
- Support for the Educational Foundation (Provides fellowships and grants to women for graduate study and community action)
- Support for Legal Advocacy Fund (Provides support for women seeking judicial redress for sex discrimination in academia)
Branch meetings are generally held once a month on either Monday evening or Saturday during the day at various locations around town. These monthly programs provide opportunities for members to discuss and learn about critical issues affecting women and the community. For more details on upcoming programs please see the programs page. All meetings are open to the public. If you would like to talk to a branch representative before attending a meeting, please feel free to contact us.
We also have a variety of special interest groups you may enjoy. These include bridge, two book clubs, play reading, dining in, and dining out. Please join us!