Join us for our May meeting
This will be a virtual “Zoom” meeting.
You can join from the comfort and safety of your home.
When: Monday, June 14th, 7:00 pm
End of Year Social Gathering
What a long strange trip it’s been.
Who knew that the Grateful Dead in the 1970s would coin a phrase that so aptly describes this past year? As we all coped with the Covid shutdown and pivoted to online Zoom meetings it actually opened up a new world in planning our Branch meeting presentations. Because speakers and guests could join us from the comfort of their homes, I was able to reach out to a diverse group of people. It didn’t matter if they were near or far away, because we were all as close as our computer/phone cameras would allow.
Having the meetings on Zoom allowed us to invite our friends or relatives to attend a meeting if the speaker was someone who piqued their interest. One of my favorite things was to be able to meet the scholarship recipients. The Cuesta scholarship winners all have very busy lives, as they are single mothers with multiple children. Meeting online allowed them to participate without worrying about arranging child care and transportation. We were able to speak with both last years and this year’s High School scholarship winners. They were a thoughtful, fun, diverse group of girls.
I hope you all got as much interesting and useful information as I did from; The League of Women Voters, Megan Souza, Ingrid Siegel, Angelica Carpenter and Pacific Wildlife Care. Of course, everyone’s favorite program of the year was Brynn Albanese, violinist extraordinaire. Her talk and performance at our November meeting were such a success that we invited her back to do a holiday concert for us at the December meeting.
Our program for the June meeting will be YOU. Yes you!!! We will gather together to celebrate our accomplishments of the past year by having a relaxed, social happy hour. So, pour your favorite libation, put on your comfy clothes and take a bow for all you have done to improve the lives of women and girls in San Luis Obispo.
The San Luis Obispo branch was organized in 1943 and has been a vital part of the community for over 75 years.
The branch was instrumental in the creation of Mission Plaza and the Art Center of San Luis Obispo. We also initiated Art Park, a summer arts program for children, and were founding members of the SLO County Women’s Legacy Fund. We continue to sponsor candidates’ and issue forums.
Today the branch consists of more than 60 women from varied backgrounds who promote the Association’s goals.
Our current community actions include:
- Tech Trek: is a math and science camp for middle school girls
- Adopt-a-Poll: staffing a voting site during elections
- San Luis Obispo High School Scholarships: our branch raises money to provide scholarships for college-bound high school girls.
- Scholarship & Loan Committee: was created to assist re-entry students at Cuesta College. The Committee is a 501(c)3 charitable organization.
- Support for the Educational Foundation: Provides fellowships and grants to women for graduate study and community action
- Support for Legal Advocacy Fund: Provides support for women seeking judicial redress for sex discrimination in academia and the workplace
- Friends of the Library/AAUW In-School Reading Program: Volunteers read with children in a classroom setting to provide literacy experiences that encourage, support, and celebrate children’s efforts to learn to read.
Branch meetings are generally held once a month on either Monday evening or Saturday during the day at various locations around town. These monthly programs provide opportunities for members to discuss and learn about critical issues affecting women and the community. For more details on upcoming programs please see the programs page. All meetings are open to the public. If you would like to talk to a branch representative before attending a meeting, please feel free to contact us.
We also have a variety of special interest groups you may enjoy. These include two bridge groups, two book clubs, craft group, hiking, and dining out. Please join us!
Follow us on Twitter @AAUWSLO