Join us for our November meeting
This will be a virtual “Zoom” meeting.
You can join from the comfort and safety of your home.
When: Monday, November 16th, 7:00 pm
“If music be the food of love, play on” 12th Night, William Shakespeare
This month we have a very special guest planned for our November 16th Branch meeting. Ms. Brynn Albanese, renowned violinist. Brynn has performed locally with the San Luis Obispo Symphony, Cafe Musique, Classinova, as well as numerous solo performances at venues all over the Central Coast area. An extensive biography is available at her website: https://www.brynnalbanese.com/biography . Brynn is also an instructor at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo https://music.calpoly.edu/faculty/albanese/ . Recently she and her group Classinova kicked off The Performing Arts Center new virtual concert series “Live from the PAC.” This series of performances is designed as a way to connect audiences with local artists.
Brynn will be discussing, not only her own artistic/musical background, but she will delve into the challenge facing artists during this time of Covid. Venues are closed, people don’t want to gather in large groups indoors. How does an artist continue to connect? How can an artist make a living? We will also hear about Brynn’s future projects focusing on school age children and people who are in local hospitals and care centers.
In addition to the discussion, Brynn will be treating us to one of her many YouTube performances. We hope you will all be able to join us at this Zoom meeting on Monday November 16th, at 7pm. Watch for your Evite and Zoom invitation as the date draws nearer.
The San Luis Obispo branch was organized in 1943 and has been a vital part of the community for over 75 years.
The branch was instrumental in the creation of Mission Plaza and the Art Center of San Luis Obispo. We also initiated Art Park, a summer arts program for children, and were founding members of the SLO County Women’s Legacy Fund. We continue to sponsor candidates’ and issue forums.
Today the branch consists of more than 60 women from varied backgrounds who promote the Association’s goals.
Our current community actions include:
- Tech Trek: is a math and science camp for middle school girls
- Adopt-a-Poll: staffing a voting site during elections
- San Luis Obispo High School Scholarships: our branch raises money to provide scholarships for college-bound high school girls.
- Scholarship & Loan Committee: was created to assist re-entry students at Cuesta College. The Committee is a 501(c)3 charitable organization.
- Support for the Educational Foundation: Provides fellowships and grants to women for graduate study and community action
- Support for Legal Advocacy Fund: Provides support for women seeking judicial redress for sex discrimination in academia and the workplace
- Friends of the Library/AAUW In-School Reading Program: Volunteers read with children in a classroom setting to provide literacy experiences that encourage, support, and celebrate children’s efforts to learn to read.
Branch meetings are generally held once a month on either Monday evening or Saturday during the day at various locations around town. These monthly programs provide opportunities for members to discuss and learn about critical issues affecting women and the community. For more details on upcoming programs please see the programs page. All meetings are open to the public. If you would like to talk to a branch representative before attending a meeting, please feel free to contact us.
We also have a variety of special interest groups you may enjoy. These include two bridge groups, two book clubs, craft group, hiking, and dining out. Please join us!
Follow us on Twitter @AAUWSLO