Join us for our May meeting!
Monday, May 9th at 7:00pm
Presentation of High School Scholarship Recipients and graduating Cuesta Scholarship recipients
One of the most significant ways we as a branch support the mission of AAUW is by providing scholarships for local students. At our May program (via Zoom), we will be hearing from some of our high-school scholarship winners who will be starting their college careers this fall and from some of our Cuesta scholarship winners who are graduating this May. Come listen to them share their plans!
In addition, we will learn about our two named gift honorees. “Being designated as a Named Gift Honoree is a very special honor in AAUW. The award is reserved for members who have made extraordinary gifts of time and hard work to the branch and AAUW.” Importantly, the award signifies the support of our branch members in contributing to AAUW Funds. With two honorees, this means our branch contributed a total of at least $750 in the name of each honoree. This is another outward sign of our branch’s support for AAUW’s mission!
We hope you can join us in honoring our scholarship recipients and named gift honorees! Our meeting will be on Monday, May 9 at 7 pm via Zoom. Be sure to respond to the Evite and look for your Zoom link!!
Our AAUW Branch has been part of the community for over 75 years.
The branch was instrumental in the creation of Mission Plaza and the Art Center of San Luis Obispo. We also initiated Art Park, a summer arts program for children, and were founding members of the SLO County Women’s Legacy Fund. We continue to sponsor candidates’ and issue forums.
Today the branch consists of more than 60 women from varied backgrounds who promote the Association’s goals.
Our current community actions include:
- Tech Trek: is a math and science camp for middle school girls
- Adopt-a-Poll: staffing a voting site during elections
- San Luis Obispo High School Scholarships: our branch raises money to provide scholarships for college-bound high school girls.
- Scholarship & Loan Committee: was created to assist re-entry students at Cuesta College. The Committee is a 501(c)3 charitable organization.
- Support for the Educational Foundation: Provides fellowships and grants to women for graduate study and community action
- Support for Legal Advocacy Fund: Provides support for women seeking judicial redress for sex discrimination in academia and the workplace
- Friends of the Library/AAUW In-School Reading Program: Volunteers read with children in a classroom setting to provide literacy experiences that encourage, support, and celebrate children’s efforts to learn to read.
Branch meetings are generally held once a month on either Monday evening or Saturday during the day at various locations around town. These monthly programs provide opportunities for members to discuss and learn about critical issues affecting women and the community. For more details on upcoming programs please see the programs page. All meetings are open to the public. If you would like to talk to a branch representative before attending a meeting, please feel free to contact us.
We also have a variety of special interest groups you may enjoy. These include two bridge groups, two book clubs, craft group, hiking, and dining out. Please join us!
Follow us on Twitter @AAUWSLO