Monday, November 13th, 2017 6:45PM
Branch Meeting with Presentation on Homeless Services in San Luis Obispo
First Presbyterian Church San Luis Obispo
Please join us for a panel discussion with speakers from Prado 40, Hope’s Village, Restorative Partners, and Sunny Acres with updates on community projects to address homelesness.
The San Luis Obispo branch was organized in 1943 and has been a vital part of the community for over 65 years.
The branch was instrumental in the creation of Mission Plaza and the Art Center of San Luis Obispo. We also initiated Art Park, a summer arts program for children, and were founding members of the SLO County Women’s Legacy Fund. We continue to sponsor candidates’ and issue forums.
Today the branch consists of more than 70 women from varied backgrounds who promote the Association’s goals.
Our current community actions include:
- Tech Trek: math and science camp for middle school girls
- Adopt-a-Poll: staffing a voting site during elections
- A Cuesta College scholarship: created to assist re-entry students who are at least 25 years old and have attended Cuesta for one year or more. Scholarships are awarded annually. The Committee is a 501(c)3 charitable organization.
- College scholarships for San Luis Obispo High School girls
- Support for the Educational Foundation: Provides fellowships and grants to women for graduate study and community action
- Support for Legal Advocacy Fund Provides support for women seeking judicial redress for sex discrimination in academia
Branch meetings are generally held once a month on either Monday evening or Saturday during the day at various locations around town. These monthly programs provide opportunities for members to discuss and learn about critical issues affecting women and the community. For more details on upcoming programs please see the programs page. All meetings are open to the public. If you would like to talk to a branch representative before attending a meeting, please feel free to contact us.
We also have a variety of special interest groups you may enjoy. These include bridge, two book clubs, craft group, hiking, and dining out. Please join us!
Follow us on Twitter @AAUWSLO